To quote Lloyd Dobler "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Kapa Kahi

So we had a bit of an earthquake 2 weeks ago.......and we keep having aftershocks




I awoke early on Sunday morning October 15th and was getting ready to go to town to work on the pier all day (cruise ship day). At 7am I was sitting on my bed and at 7:07 my room started shaking. Now we have earthquakes here quite a bit so this was no big surprise. I usually announce them to no one in particular "earthquake". But this time it git bigger and bigger until it seemed like a jackhammer had been strapped to the house. You know how they say that your life flashes before you?? Well mine didn't, all most worst nightmares were what came to mind. I looked at the doorframe, they tell you to stand there in an earthquake......my mind said "GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!!!" and I ran out of the house. I stood there in the drive and my neighbors came running down and the whole way I watched the earth between us move and roll and shudder.
For the next 2 hours I sat in the driveway with my little hand crank radio listening to the local police talk to their dispatcher begging to run home to make sure all was okay there. We couldn't use cells, or land lines. I was able to send out one email to my family about 5 minutes after the second big aftershock (5.8). And that was it. For the next 20 hours you had to take your turn using the few phonelines on the island that were working. I had to call this company that I do work for because the following day we were expecting 128 people to arrive from the mainland for a 2 week island tour. Up until a few hours before we left we were not sure what was happening. Oahu was without power until 2 hours before we arrived and then it was 2 days of airline delays and 128 really cranky passengers who complained that they say no evidence of the earthquake on Oahu so why were they delayed????? Friggin' old people. They can be so difficult (I am just really tired right now and need a break from people).
But I figured I would show all 3 of you what a mess the quake made.

To get an idea of how active the earth is here right now:
http://tux.wr.usgs.gov/

1 comment:

MarkD60 said...

Dang, we had a little one here several years ago, but it was nothing. Hope your house is OK